Among other services, Moat provides analytics that allow its clients to better understand the effectiveness of online advertising. We use automated mechanisms to gather information about user interaction with ads and we share that information with our clients and their business partners. This information does not include your name, physical address, email address, phone number or credit card information. We may also help our clients use automated technologies to gather user interaction information themselves. We ask our clients to disclose our data collection in their privacy policies.
Information Collected From Moat Services
- Automatic Collection: Like most web businesses, we use automated mechanisms (eg, cookies and/or pixels) to keep track of user interactions with our Services. We collect information such as your internet protocol address, browser type and access times. We also use third party services such as Google Analytics to gather and analyze user information.
- Volunteered: If you open an account with us, purchase products or services, send us an email, or share personal information with us in any other way, we collect this information. This obviously depends on what information you choose to provide but it may include your name, email address or billing information. You do not have to share this information with us, but without it you may not be able to access certain content, features or Services.
- Posted: If you post information on any public areas of our websites (or elsewhere on the Internet) that information may be collected and used by anyone, including Moat. (We strongly recommend that you do not post any information that allows strangers to identify or locate you. Posting such information may result in unsolicited and unwanted contact from others, to say the least.)
- Social Networking Information: You can log in to certain areas of our site by using your Linked In profile. By doing this, we will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate your information when you login.
How Do We Use the Information We Collect?
The short answer is that we generally use this information to help Moat provide you with better service and to help our advertisers and clients provide you with more relevant offers, which in turn helps cover the cost of providing our Services and third party websites and services. Among other things, the information we collect can enable us to:
- customize the content and advertising you see
- fulfill your requests for Services and validate your user rights
- contact and communicate with you
- provide you with additional information we think is of interest to you
In addition, as you browse Moat.com and other Moat URLs, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partners then enable us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with Moat.com and other Moat URLs. If you don’t want to have your information used for the purpose of serving you ads targeted in this way, you can opt out by visiting this opt out page and following the instructions. Please note this does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic ads, not tailored to you.
When Do We Share or Disclose Your Information?
- Automated Information. We may freely share information we collect by automated means with third parties, such as clients, advertisers, sponsors and business partners.
- Personally Identifiable Information. In more limited circumstances, we may share personally identifiable information we have collected. For example:
- We might share personally identifiable information during due diligence or in connection with a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganization or liquidation.
- If you give us permission, we may share your personally identifiable information with third parties who may send you marketing and promotional information.
- Your personal information may be transferred to anyone who is helping us make the Services available and functional, like technical agents, payment processing vendors, other subcontractors, and our affiliates and consultants.
- As in any transaction, if you provide your credit card information to us for purchases, your credit card company will be provided with relevant information about us, services purchased, cost and other information necessary to process the transaction.
- We may disclose your personal information if permitted or required by law, or where we believe such action is necessary in order to protect or defend our interests or the interests of our users or business partners.
Children Under 13
The Services are not intended for children under age 13, or for anyone under age 18 without involvement of a parent or guardian. Our websites may include unmonitored content posted by users or sourced from other third parties and such content may be unsuitable for children. We do not knowingly collect or distribute information from or about children under 13.
In addition, the Services may contain links to third party websites and content. Moat does not control these websites and/or content and these third parties' privacy policies may be different from our own. You access linked websites or third party content at your own risk.
Any information collected by Moat is stored on servers that Moat manages, using standard security procedures and practices appropriate to the nature of the information. No data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure and as a result, Moat cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit on or through the Services.
Your personal information may be transferred to and maintained on servers or databases located outside your country. If you are located outside of the United States, please be advised that Moat processes and stores information in the United States and your use of our Services constitutes your consent to and understanding of this processing.
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, also known as the "Shine the Light Law," any of our users who are California residents are entitled to request and receive once a year, free of charge, a notice from us describing what categories of personal customer information we share with third parties or corporate affiliates for their direct marketing purposes. That notice will identify the categories of information shared, the third parties and affiliates with which it was shared, and their names and addresses. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the following address Moat Inc., 228 Park Ave South #17953, New York NY 10003. In your request, please specify that you want a "California Privacy Rights Notice." Please allow at least thirty days for a response.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also contact us by mail at Moat Inc., 228 Park Ave South #17953, New York NY 10003.
In addition, if you wish to exclude your personal information from our direct marketing, or if you would like to update or delete your email address, mailing address or other personal information, or otherwise manage communications your receive from Moat, please contact us at the above.
Last update: October 6, 2014.